Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Other Side of the Channel

I have stood on my side of the channel for the past 44 years looking at Big Red, and for the most part have been content with that.


Although, there was something inside of me that wanted to be on that side, to stand next to the lighthouse, to touch it. And now days with my love of photography so strong, I wanted to be on that side to photograph it.


Big Red is not easily accessible. Most of the land over there is privately owned. There is a staffed guardhouse in the summer and parking near the boardwalk to the lighthouse is either for the marina or for the summer cottage people.

A conversation with a friend a few weeks ago renewed my desire to explore on the other side of the channel. He told me to park near the guardhouse, it's not staffed in the off-season. Plenty of parking with no marina or summer residents in November. All I had to do was follow the boardwalk out to the lighthouse.


It worked like a charm. I picked an overcast, non-windy day and it was perfect. It was wonderful to shoot the lighthouse from different angles, to climb the steps and look inside, and to take some closeup detail shots.



Here is the Historic Marker for the Lighthouse:


I enjoyed my adventure and I am so glad I took a risk traveling to the other side of the channel. I plan to go back, as there are some great old cottages over there as well.

Happy to be participating in Lissa Forbes Walk and Click Wednesdays





15 comments:

Pride In Photos Beauty said...

Sarah, this lighthouse is SO adorable and you captured alot of the details! I love it.
Laurie @ Pride in photos

Anonymous said...

Big Red is one of the most picturesque lighthouses I have ever seen. And it looks great up close! I love the composition, point of view and contrasting colours of that third shot and the dreaminess of the last one. Thanks for the little trip to the other side ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant the second to last one...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful shots - I love the colors and your composition!
Donna

Sherri B. said...

These photos are beautiful! Thanks so much for taking us on your little journey...what a lovely place. :)

Viv@Thoughts from the Desktop said...

Gorgeous Sarah I've never seen a lighthouse quite like that, i love the black and white shot.....

Lissa Forbes said...

Lovely progression from far to near, Sarah. I'm so glad you crossed to the other side! Definitely a different configuration for a lighthouse ... so quaint. I think I could enjoy living there! I've always had a "dream" of living in a lighthouse. 'Spose I could change professions now? I really like the perspective of the side window and the channel behind. Thanks so much for "playing" in Walk and Click Wednesdays!

Lissa Forbes said...

PS ... funny to notice a typo on the state sign! "Recommeded" ;->

Mary said...

Really Really beautiful Sarah. Just love love love the color

Kate said...

Hey, that is my side of the channel! Grew up on the south side of Holland. Used to go to the beach out at Macatawa. Sarah, these are great shots and so familiar to me. Thanks for the memories.

Unknown said...

Sarah, wonderful images! Love the story of your adventure.

Unknown said...

Sarah, you are so adventurous! I love reading about all your walks! Such a great lighthouse to photograph. The close ups are really great!

Jeanne said...

Love the shots that you got of this unique and so quaint lighthouse, and how lucky you are to have it in your view from either close or far. Gorgeous!

Ahayes1225 said...

Wondeful, I have never seen a red lighthouse. Your walks are so interesting.

stacie said...

What a treasure! Love how you captured the shots.